Back pain affects thousands of people, but in most cases is not serious and medical treatment is not always necessary.
Most back pain is caused by
- Stiffness or spasm of the muscle caused by sleeping in an uncomfortable position.
- Doing activities you are not used to
- Being overweight
- Incorrect lifting techniques
- A disc between the base of the spine moving out of position or pressing on a nerve
Common back problems
- Pain of the upper or lower back.
- Pain spreading from the back of the thigh to the ankle (sciatica
Back problems can be prevented by
- Keeping active.
- Keeping to a healthy weight.
- Sleeping on a firm mattress.
- Lifting heavy weight correctly – crouch down, straighten knees and keep your back straight.
Treatment at home
- Stay in bed, but no longer than 1 or 2 days.
- Massage the painful area, apply heat.
- Take painkillers
- Exercise gently